1996-02-05 - Re: free speech and the government

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: Stephan Mohr <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 50719c19fe11473e8f6519533841dac4feff00e01f5b3805f9c74e0433ccaa76
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960204224051.00955628@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 23:23:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 23:23:47 +0800
To: Stephan Mohr <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: free speech and the government

At 09:25 PM 2/4/96 +0000, Stephan Mohr wrote:

>Actually, I am glad that the whole story started over some neo-nazi stuff
>and not a recipe to easily make a very potent poison.

For some strange reason, people believe it is difficult to find information
on such things.

I picked up my copy of _Poisons and Poisoners_ by C. J. S. Thompson at
Barnes and Noble in the discount section for $9.98.  Books on the topic can
also be picked up in bookstores catering to Murder Mystery fans.  (Some
excelent descriptions of esoteric poisons can be derived from these books.)

"Forbidden" information is hard to forbid with the existance of the printing
press.  Electronic networks make the information even more available.  Are
you suggesting that we burn all the books with "dangerous" information?  And
who's definition of "danger" do we take?  Yours? Mine? The National Council
of Churches?

Crypto relevence:  Some people regard the ability to hide "dangerous"
information to be as "dangerous" as the information hidden.  Freedom of
Speech includes the right to choose who can listen to that speech.

Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
         Is the operating system half NT or half full?

Thread