1996-02-08 - A temporal remailing (was: CDA = death of crypto)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 55b0532f0f2b87ed169e21d982bf2c8493bfbbcc81a3f8e49c41cc1768a2828a
Message ID: <ad3d6eaa010210046d59@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:03:17 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:03:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: A temporal remailing (was: CDA = death of crypto)

At 3:26 AM 2/7/96, anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com wrote:
>CDA means that virtually all underground or 'illegal' traffic will be
>distributed via encryption.
>
>As soon as the loony right and fundo Christians realise this, they *will*
>call for legislation against encryption, and if the CDA is any benchmark,
>they will easily win.

4-1-99. NYT:

   "Congress Passes "Children's Protection and Safe Information Highways" Bill"

      "In a vote of 479-12 in the House of Representatives and 93-5 in the
Senate, the "Children's Protection and Safe Information Highways Bill" was
sent to the President, who is expected to sign it on Thursday.

      "The Bill criminalizes the possession of unauthorized cryptographic
programs and extends the Telecom Act of 1996 and the Digital Telephony Act
of 1994 to regulate the new cyberspace frontier.

      "Attorney-General Louis Freeh pushed for the legislation, citing the
growing use of cryptography by dissidents and criminals. "We are hoping
Congress will next pass the "Secure and Decent Cyberspace Bill." This bill,
nick-named the "Crypto-Kingpins Bill," will subject traffickers in illegal
crypto to the same harsh penalties meted out to drug kingpins. "While it
may seem harsh to execute a person for possession of a key greater than 60
bits, we must consider the terrible consequences for our children of people
writing down things the government cannot read," Freeh said.

   BAD_nws

Thread