1996-02-15 - Re: Spin Control Alert (LI Newsday, 2/12/96)

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: “Declan B. McCullagh” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 55ba3eb0255158e1b030091d69ed8aacf0cae28d9e4df4d6a76ee99ca574c56c
Message ID: <199602150552.VAA09945@news1.best.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:40:41 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:40:41 +0800
To: "Declan B. McCullagh" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Spin Control Alert (LI Newsday, 2/12/96)

jamesd@echeque.com:

At 02:09 PM 2/14/96 -0500, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:
>The religious right did not *support* the "push to regulate the
>Internet" -- they drafted, defended, and pushed through the damn CDA!

Bunkum

Name this Christian rightist who drafted or defended the CDA!

The primary anti porn activists involved in the effort to regulate the net
were Donna Reed, and Marty Rimm, neither of whom are members of the Christian
right, and Bill Arms, who is not only not a member of the Christian right,
but who in additon is a PC academic.

While their campaigns received assistance, encouragement, and free labor
from the Christian right, it was not the Christian right that enabled these
people to exercise the disproportionate power and influence that they did.

It was not the Christian right that obtained totally undeserved publicity
for Rimm's spurious findings.

Rimm's study had connections both with the right and the left, but the real
question is where the big muscle came from.  If the big muscle came from
the Christian right they would have let us know by now, because they always
tend to exaggerate their influence and power.

While the effort to regulate the net had *links* to the Christian right, it
is simply untrue to say that it was composed of the Christian right, or even
to say that the Christian right played a significant role in the effort.  Their
role is scarcely visible.  They were minor foot soldiers.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread