1996-02-01 - Flaw in FV process (was FV and Netscape slagging each other off :-)

Header Data

From: John Pettitt <jpp@software.net>
To: Nathaniel Borenstein <jsw@netscape.com>
Message Hash: 56d0b1bc8b047231bf761791fc56f57bb6ea694c5fbbe96ab3031c1723f68025
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960131235757.00d078d8@mail.software.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:26:36 +0800

Raw message

From: John Pettitt <jpp@software.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:26:36 +0800
To: Nathaniel Borenstein <jsw@netscape.com>
Subject: Flaw in FV process (was FV and Netscape slagging each other off :-)

At 05:56 PM 1/31/96 -0500, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote about Jeffs attack:
>Your attack would be caught by us relatively quickly because our model
>is based not on a single fail-safe piece of security software, but on
>*process* security.  The overall process is multifaceted, with many
>checks and balances.

Yes this is all fine and good - but your process does not allow for real time
delivery of goods.  For example:

Somebody wants to buy say micrsoft office from me for electronic delivery
(yes they have a lot of bandwidth :-).  I can authorize a credit card, fun
it by my fraud screen and start shipping in less than 30 seconds.    At this
point the transaction is done.

In the FV model as I understand it I'd have to ship the software and wait for
an approve/deny/fraud from the user.  If it's anything but approved I'm SOL,
I still have to pay Microsoft for the product but I didn't get paid.

Solve that process flaw and I'll add FV support to software.net.

John Pettitt, jpp@software.net
VP Engineering, CyberSource Corporation, 415 473 3065
 "Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man
  doesn't have to experience it." - Max Frisch

Thread