1996-02-16 - Re: A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Message Hash: 57ebc3357755aaf2ad0fc3156b1e09bb6084b6ef7ceefc814040217827008002
Message ID: <199602161631.IAA25897@news1.best.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 02:47:07 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 02:47:07 +0800
Subject: Re: A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

At 05:03 AM 2/16/96 -0500, lmccarth@cs.umass.edu wrote:
>Large numbers of able people with good communications very recently exercised
>their putative "very real power" against the passage of the CDA. They had no
>substantial impact AFAICS. (I intend no slur against the effort.)  Could you
>name some examples, and add some qualifications that made the difference in
>those cases ?

1.  President Clinton declared CDA unconstitutional and directed
the Justice department to refrain from enforcing it.

2.  The normal course of events, when a new medium starts
competing against an old medium, is for the new medium to
be censored to an utterly ludicrous degree, analogous to
the law requiring a man with a red flag to walk in front
of horseless carriages, while the old medium has censorship
radically relaxed.  In the normal course of events one would
expect a strict ban on pictures of women in clothes cut
below the neck or above the ankles, and a ban on any
unpleasant or disturbing subject.  (For example the comics
code, and the TV rule that married couples had to have
separate beds)

Instead alt.pictures.binaries.erotica.children is still
going strong.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com