1996-02-06 - RE: Why am I wrong?

Header Data

From: “A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security” <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
To: lunaslide@loop.com
Message Hash: 651dbeb5a20d8c43ee8e61820aa8ee3f545038525eb02ee1247fe281995ba709
Message ID: <960206160510.20215305@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 05:52:26 +0800

Raw message

From: "A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security" <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 05:52:26 +0800
To: lunaslide@loop.com
Subject: RE: Why am I wrong?

>I don't think that I am stating a position of cypher-anarchy, but
>advocating a position of personal privacy guaranteed by the Fourth
>Amendment.

Don't forget the other side of the conversation. While the government
cannot (notice I did not say they might not try) effectively control
communication, there are other points at which control may be exerted:

1) communications *with* the government (IRS, Social Security, etc).
2) communications using someone else's equipment/network (university,
   employer, etc)
3) communications with anyone (Internet merchant, etc) who says "this
   is not what <MasterCard|Visa|AmEx> approves..."

Each of these may have compelling reasons for complying with what the
government wants even if it is not law. IMNSHO "law" is just a means
for exacting retribution/revenge - if you have to resort to it, you
have already lost.
						Warmly,
							Padgett

Thread