1996-02-16 - Re: anonymous age credentials, sharing of

Header Data

From: gw <geeman@best.com>
To: “Rev. Ben” <samman-ben@CS.YALE.EDU>
Message Hash: 6c75ed283d4eb592209edff28b8daefefc92e250cc8d3eac5e2657d8b70e3456
Message ID: <199602160754.XAA17607@news1.best.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:38:12 +0800

Raw message

From: gw <geeman@best.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:38:12 +0800
To: "Rev. Ben" <samman-ben@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject: Re: anonymous age credentials, sharing of

At 04:24 PM 2/15/96 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, gw wrote:
>
>> the People, want to support permanently binding a traceable, non-anonymous
>> identity to all certificate attributes that are used in electronic exchange
>> (age, etc...) then there is going to be the potential for someone to
>> deliberately allow their credential to be misused.
>>
>> IMO, to prevent this totally would require implanting a non-forgable i.d.
>> chip in everyone at birth ..... not very appealing.
>

>And even then, what about the people that undergo surgery to swap chips?

Seems less likely ... you would need qualified surgeon, etc. ... my
suspicion is that biometric devices are actually more susceptible to bypass .

>The only REAL way of authentication is biometrics.  Anything else can be
>swapped.

For that matter, if you can replace an amputated finger, how about
transplanting a hand?  <shrug>

I think the distinction between an implanted device and a naturally occuring
biometric is 1. not that important, 2. not all that large, anyway.

My point is -and I think this pretty obvious- without the "something someone
IS"
as opposed ot "HAS" there is no stopping the exchange of credentials.  And
then as you go to "HAS", it's just a matter of how far you want to raise the
bar.

I like that idea of surgically swapping tokens ... where do I find the Dr.?
Assuming s/he's illicit, then where do I get the $?  And the person to swap
with?  What's in it for him/her?

>But if you amputate someone's hand or retinas then they won't
>work(check for things like blood flow, etc.)
>
>Ben.
>____
>"If what Proust says is true, that happiness is the absence of fever, then
>I will never know happiness. For I am possessed by a fever for knowledge,
>experience, and creation."                                      -Anais Nin
>PGP Encrypted Mail Welcomed      Finger samman@powered.cs.yale.edu for key
>Want to give a soon-to-be college grad a job?         Mail me for a resume

Thread