1996-02-12 - LI Newsday OpEd: Criminal Justice System

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6c9a7702f7549ac913c95dea33fc8b09a289215d55fa657aed4779b0b9d44baf
Message ID: <199602120047.TAA02205@UNiX.asb.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 09:27:17 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 09:27:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: LI Newsday OpEd: Criminal Justice System

Found a really good op-ed piece in LI Newsday, Thurs. Feb 8, pA53
by Robert Reno, "If Jails Are Full, How Much Tougher Can Judges Get?"

Some highlights:

  American Jails are more packed with criminals than ever in history.
  We know this for sure because every time we count them, it keeps
showing the percentage of the population that is in jail has
quadrupled in 25 years, is higher than any other civilized nation...

[...]

  It is something of a mystery how so many people got in jail because
we have it on the testimony of some leading politicians that knavish
judges are freeing criminals in record numbers. Pat Buchanan babbles
to anybody who'll listen that federal judges are "an unelected
elite," solititous of "criminals, atheists, homosexuals, flag
burners, illegal aliens, convicts and pornographers." I don't know
why he left out gun molls, blood suckers, snake charmers, pig
rustlers, serial blackguards, pyromaniacs, and mailbox vandals...

[...]

...There is something more to the point, though, than the disposition
of politicians to bay moronically at the moon.  If we want a more
predictable system in which judicial descisions never surprise us,
then we have perfectly good functioning models from which to choose
from. Take your pick: China, Cuba, North Korea, Iraq. Any one will
do.

--- "Mutant" Rob <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>

Send a blank message with the subject "send pgp-key"
(not in quotes) for a copy of my PGP key.

Thread