1996-02-06 - Re: “Nations see Internet..” continued

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: Mike Ang <mang@lisgar.edu.on.ca>
Message Hash: 72eab7544cc8d74cedd37e911bc57bc4cac6d339826d3cfdc8412908b8de386d
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960205065909.8568G-100000@usr1.primenet.com>
Reply To: <199602041718.MAA05257@plethora.lisgar.edu.on.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-06 00:08:36 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 08:08:36 +0800

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 08:08:36 +0800
To: Mike Ang <mang@lisgar.edu.on.ca>
Subject: Re: "Nations see Internet.." continued

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996, Mike Ang wrote:

> Comparing crypto to guns works in the sense that the "bad guys" will
> always be able to have access to them.  However, I for one support gun
> control but do not support mandatory limits on crypto.  Where I live,
> there are no theats that justify allowing everyone to carry guns

	well, I'll tell you what, we'll export 10,000 of our inner city
    gang members north; then you think about leaving _all_ weapons in
    the hands of the central state who increasingly is failing to provide
    adequate protection for the weak members of its society.

>- the
> threat to privacy and freedom of speech justifies allowing everyone to
> use strong crypto.  You can use a gun to deprive another person of their
> life - what harm can you do another with PGP?  Perhaps you can harm them
> by being able to spread hate propaganda, but I don't think that that is a
> strong enough argument.
>
> 	- Mike.
>
> If you've got to flame me, do it by email.

    go not unto usenet for advice, for the inhabitants thereof will say:
      yes, and no, and maybe, and I don't know, and fuck-off.

    To be a ruler of men, you need at least 12 inches....
    There is no safety this side of the grave.  Never was; never will be.

Thread