1996-02-05 - Arthur C. Clarke Supports Strong Crypto

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 735c7337bccea19266f0fdc525c353e1461d971611ef47615416f1acee8d4723
Message ID: <ad3aad571302100496ed@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:30:54 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:30:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Arthur C. Clarke Supports Strong Crypto

(Pardon me for mentioning crypto...)

Arthur C. Clarke, known to most of you (author of many SF works, coiner of
the phrase: "all sufficiently advanced technlogies are indistinguishable
from magic," mention by Alan Olsen yesterday), has a role in a "Discovery
Channel" program called "Mysterious Universe."

The episode tonight dealt with famous ciphers, including the Beale Cipher
(buried gold), the Voynich Manuscript (who knows what it is), and the
Vinland Map (my ancestors beat the Italians to the New World).

Clarke concluded by opining that strong ciphers that can only be read by
the intended recipient are now more important than ever.

--Tim May

Boycott espionage-enabled software!