1996-02-03 - Re: Microsoft’s CryptoAPI - thoughts?

Header Data

From: John Banes (Wasser) <a-johnb@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7601e2722e033b38a5ab95b9936626863569fca82d2e0a9805734f2b726314f2
Message ID: <red-17-msg960203191438MTP[01.52.00]000000a4-49780>
Raw Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 03:33:34 +0800

Raw message

From: John Banes (Wasser) <a-johnb@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 03:33:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Microsoft's CryptoAPI - thoughts?

I have "standardized" the PS files on the MS website, so there should
be no more problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.microsoft.com/intdev/inttech/cryptapi.htm]

| Has someone here managed to extract PostScript hardcopy of the
| CAPI from this Web page? I tried earlier this evening and
| wound up with a miniature
| ecological disaster on my hands. The page says:
|
| "For ease of online reading and printing, we've provided copies of this
| lengthy document in Microsoft Word and Postscript formats."
|
| I grabbed the ZIPped PostScript version and unZIPped it, which resulted in a
| single file called "capiapp.ps". Making the wild assumption that this was
| indeed a PostScript file, I sent it to the printer and forgot about it for a
| while.
|
| An hour later I discovered a chaotic scene in the printer room, as the
| printer had spewed about 1.5 reams of raw PostScript printouts. The
output bin
| had overflowed for a while, spraying paper in several directions.
<heavy sigh>

| As it turns out, the file unhelpfully begins with
| 	%-12345X@JPL ENTER LANGUAGE=POSTSCRIPT
| preceding the usual "%!PS-Adobe-3.0" line. Worse still, it appears that the
| capiapp.ps file is actually a catenation of many PostScript files (one per
| chapter?), each beginning with a version of this ensnarling line.
|
| I could do some global search-and-replacing, etc., but I think I'll wait for
| Microsoft to distribute a decent PS version of this document. Perhaps they
| should consider not generating it with MS Word....
|
| Grr!
|
| Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

Thread