1996-02-23 - Re: pcmcia

Header Data

From: “P.J. Ponder” <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Message Hash: 83d9583383db007bbcbe94df3d696ec3a0effd75a5d418fbddc96916f909a529
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9602221008.B12023-0100000@wane3.scri.fsu.edu>
Reply To: <199602221313.IAA09759@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-23 20:50:35 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:50:35 +0800

Raw message

From: "P.J. Ponder" <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:50:35 +0800
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Subject: Re: pcmcia

I am just assuming that the Association (PCMCIA) has a way of distributing
specs, etc. I also assume they have a web page and all that, maybe
even a citizen-unit subscribed to this mailing list who probably could
point us in the right direction.  I think PCMCIA cards offer a lot of
potential as wallets and general purpose privacy prophylaxis engines.
I don't know anything about the technology, but the device drivers, et al,
could be publicly reviewed and recompiled on trusted machines, presumably,
and the device itself could be tested (I assume) with a publicly
available routine that once again one could install from source, etc.

how much do the slots cost to add on to pc's that don't already have them?
Is there a parallel interface, for instance, that can plug into a
printer port?
--
PJ

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Adam Shostack wrote:

> P.J. Ponder wrote:
>
> | obligatory crypto comment: has anyone looked at the iPower card and
> | gotten one to play with? Where else could one get a PCMCIA card that was
> | programmable and had a little memory on it? How hard would it be to make
> | one - in other words, what could we get the cost down to for an
> | encrypting pcmcia card? there couldn't be much to it, really, could there?
>
> 	I got one, its very badly documented; theres some source in
> Visual basic for windoze.  I haven't had time to track down real docs
> so I can do anything.  Anyone know who I can call to get real
> documentation?
>
> Adam
>

> --
> "It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once."
> 					               -Hume

Thread