1996-02-14 - No Subject

Header Data

From: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
To: N/A
Message Hash: 8c16fe841064aa065e0a61d5c2e832567337c6421fb411eebc5b3509f671afe9
Message ID: <QQacwj27839.199602141121@relay3.UU.NET>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 19:29:47 +0800

Raw message

From: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 19:29:47 +0800
Subject: No Subject

}Is ok. I suspect that we are narrowing on a similar position. Would like
}to see a time when net communications make "representatives of the people"
}obsolete" since majority voting on any issue can be "anytime,anywhere".
}Doubt that it will happen soon.

<rm>

I too would like to see a purely democratic process rather than a
representative one.  And I also agree that it won't happen soon.  The
question is, what do we keep of govt?

How would the group propose electronic voting on legislation should
proceed?  What sort of technical solution could be arrived at to allow
everyone in the country to vote on specific legislation and how would they
get access to that legislation?  I think _this_ is a cypherpunk topic for
sure.

}Take CDA (please) - obviously draconian and unconstitutional. Think how
}much more difficult it would be to overturn if worded more reasonably.
}Then ask if that was intentional 8*).

I have to believe that Exon truly meant to castrate the net, but in his own
zealous wording, made it easier to turn the law over.  I think it is
reasonable to hope that that will be the effect.  Our doing our part to
make enough noise about it will only help our cause.

lunaslide

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to
control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things
that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very
principles upon which our government was founded."
- -- Abraham Lincoln

On the meridian of time there is no injustice, only the poetry of motion
creating the illusion of truth and drama.
                                                Henry Miller

Thread