1996-02-28 - Re: “Physical Reality”

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: mark@ausnetinfo.com.au (Mark)
Message Hash: 91416adfc9385cd09aceb6374b5b6e7fbe1bbff86f2128974bed713a9ccbe674
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960228114906.00b9f928@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Feb 96 03:50:03 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 96 03:50:03 PST
To: mark@ausnetinfo.com.au (Mark)
Subject: Re: "Physical Reality"

At 08:41 AM 2/28/96 +1100, Mark wrote:

>I dislike having to follow up something so unrelated, but the bad boys are the
>criminals, the song is about what will you do when the cops come for you.
>The cops are not the "bad boys" in the song. Trust me.
>
>Mark

Actually, the song is deliberately ambiguous.  Because the phrase "Bad Boys"
is repeated at both ends of the verse, you can't tell whether it refers to
the cops or perps or both.  I don't know the origin of the song but I recall
in life or in fiction a special (Las Vegas?) police unit that called itself
the Bad Boys.  Certainly the Bad=Good reversal is well established in
popular culture.

DCF

Thread