1996-02-05 - Re: Encryption Programs

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: avatar@mindspring.com
Message Hash: 91f99ecb27812d9a4153a771f171daa1a1f52b6ecb548b1834c34693617ca063
Message ID: <9602052013.AA18934@oliver.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <199602041551.KAA26343@borg.mindspring.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-05 21:54:26 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 05:54:26 +0800

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 05:54:26 +0800
To: avatar@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Encryption Programs

> OBVIOUSLY the spokesman of the group. I ask for help and this is what I get?
>
>         One more time, I'm well aware of the capabilities of PGP. What I'm
> looking for is a program
> that does a better job of binary encryption than just Radix 64 ASCII armoring.

Umm, I think you might be a little confused.  Either that, or you
mis-typed.  What do you mean by "better job of binary encryption than
just Radix 64 ASCII armoring"?  PGP does a lot more than just Ascii
Armor.  The Ascii Armor is just a self-recognizing transport
mechanism, nothing more.

The real meat behind PGP is its encryption and key management
utilities.  PGP uses the IDEA cipher, combined with RSA key
management, to securely encrypt any kind of file.  The Ascii Armor is
used solely to protect the PGP files during transport over email and
other ascii-only protocols.

I hope this clears up any possible misconceptions.

-derek

Thread