1996-02-06 - Re: Likely application for high-bandwidth proxies (fwd)

Header Data

From: lunaslide@loop.com
Message Hash: 930b41e7edec0fb8cbf3865299a46712a98551bbce003feb42ea1cb9d7d81e2b
Message ID: <v01530501ad3cbe08afa0@[206.138.118.156]>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 02:45:26 +0800

Raw message

From: lunaslide@loop.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 02:45:26 +0800
Subject: Re: Likely application for high-bandwidth proxies (fwd)

>It would appear that a potentially very popular application for high-
>bandwidth anonymizing proxies has arrived:
>
>Forwarded message from list-managers-digest:
>> From: Project Genesis <genesis@j51.com>
>> Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 02:42:13 -0500
>> Subject: Speaking of spams...
>>
>> Did I mention that Project Genesis is an organization specializing in
>> religious education?  The message below explains why all of our public lists
>> are moderated. I value privacy and have grave doubts about things like the
>> Exon amendment (which may make Internet providers liable), but I also think
>> that we need to ensure that the Internet not become one big red-light
>> district. Spams like this are a step in the wrong direction. It hit several
>> of our religion-oriented lists.
>>
>> Ken

I don't think that you understand one thing.  If we (the users of the
internet) say that X-THING is unacceptable on the internet, we open up the
floodgates for everything else that ppl what to censor.  There are better
ways to keep children from looking at sites and spams like the one you
posted.  Parents.  It's their responsibility to keep their children from
getting into this stuff on the net.  If we allow the govt. to take care of
our issues and do not take responsibility for them ourselves, we deserve to
have a big brother who can take care of us (see what I mean?)  No control
can be given to the govt.  If it comes down to it, we can have a rating
system like the movies and music.

Our lists are moderated, BTW, so that we don't have to wade through a bunch
of irrelevant data while trying to read about the lists/newsgroups topic.
Some of my favorite groups are alt groups, and as much as I hate having to
read about Grubor all the time (please ship him off to a dessert isle), the
moderation would limit the scope of the groups and interesting, sometimes
relevant pseudotopics would be gone.  I want the psudotopics!  That's where
some of the best threads get started!  But moderated groups have their
place too.  Who wants to read a bunch of trolls while trying to read a
science group.  And soc.support groups would not be of much use if flamers
and lusers kept posting disruptive and disturbing articles.  But in all the
cases here, it is we, the users, who decide what stays and what goes.

Peace to all.
Jeff Conn

lunaslide

On the meridian of time there is no injustice, only the poetry of motion
creating the illusion of truth and drama.
                                                Henry Miller

Thread