1996-02-01 - Re: The FV Problem = A Press Problem

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 93355603d3b8c3a627ac7425f1258fd6b7c79733182ba6d0fca37651a13794d2
Message ID: <ad33f7b337021004597f@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:18:15 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:18:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The FV Problem = A Press Problem

At 12:05 AM 1/31/96, sameer wrote:
>        I agree with your points that the press should write real
>articles, and not just swallow press releases. The fact of the matter
>though, is that that's what they do, swallow press releases. It's a
>said state of affairs, but that is the state of affairs.
>        I wouldn't say *all* news is PR controlled, but most of it
>is. It's much less work for the reporter when an article just shows up
>on their desk and all they have to do is call one or two people for
>some fresh quotes.

And I agree with your points, too, Sameer. Like I said, I mean no
disrespect to you that you issue press releases in which you interview
yourself...it's the form that press releases take, and it's the form that
"slides down easily" into a newspaper story. (The form makes it look as
though the journalist has conducted the interview and gotten the quotes.)

And at least most of Community Connexion's press releases have been about
new services being offered, or rewards, etc. And not given vastly more
attention than they deserve (as was the case with the FV "discovery").

I really hope this media frenzy with all things related to the Internet
will burn itself out.

--Tim

Boycott espionage-enabled software!