1996-02-29 - Re: PGP to PC mail integration

Header Data

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Message Hash: 985674c4691b6b8d3a02c62e29aeab19384ad5433d08d963da3c7eea540ad818
Message ID: <199602291727.MAA15484@opine.cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960229085326.003358ec@mail.pi.se>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-29 20:24:07 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 04:24:07 +0800

Raw message

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 04:24:07 +0800
Subject: Re: PGP to PC mail integration

Matts-

Please don't send me extra copies of mail sent to cypherpunks. I put
that Reply-To: header in there very deliberately.

Matts writes:
> Nope. The VB program should give a popup window where you can enter your
> passphrase to sign/decrypt the message.

I wrote:
# Sure sounds like a user interface to me. <shrug>

Matts writes:
> Sure, what did you expect? A program that obtains your pass phrase without a
> user interface?!?

No, a program that doesn't obtain your passphrase at all.

(http://www.hks.net/cpunks/cpunks-24/1540.html)

He said "Instead of messing with user interfaces", and talked about a program
that "encrypts any mail it has a PGP key for the recipient of". That
sounds a hell of a lot like a program with no user interface to me.
Furthermore, in my sheltered life, I don't know of any mail proxies that
have user interfaces. Mike has given absolutely no indication that the
program he proposes makes any attempt to base its decisions on user input,
including passphrases. Hence my original question.

I'm very happy for you if you have in mind a program that does something
different. But I don't see how it's relevant to whatever questions I
might ask about the program Mike Ingle has in mind.

-Lewis

Thread