1996-02-03 - Sometimes ya just gotta nuke em–and nuke em again

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9a4d4951f3d6652a06307871d20b103c9b73ce27cdc3f2667e72e838c10b6e9b
Message ID: <ad392186040210048141@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 07:03:45 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 07:03:45 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Sometimes ya just gotta nuke em--and nuke em again

At 8:25 PM 2/3/96, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>Sorry to inject a little scholarly research on this topic, but I
>would urge those of you who are interested in how this mythology
>was created and disseminated to do an AltaVista serach for Alperovitz;
>he's potentially the leading scholar on this subject.  I've read
>his book, and Tim probably ought to as well ...

I have responded privately to Jordan Hayes on this issue. Reasonable people
can disagree on historical events, and historical motives, and certainly
the "decision to drop the bomb" has long been a contentious one.

I regret that Jordan Hayes believes a condescending tone, implying others
are not as scholarly as he, is the way to make a point.

(I've also received several long articles from people who seemed outraged
that I was belittling the dropping of the bomb. I wasn't belittling it. Far
from it. The Japs surrendered after the second bomb, so it was obviously
not a trivial matter to them.)

--Tim May

Boycott espionage-enabled software!