1996-02-24 - consent

Header Data

From: amp <Alan.Pugh@internetMCI.COM>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 9e45a9dde9582cd27da037b718d01b628135c8916c9a662591a7d727cfcfd551
Message ID: <01I1LI3IGF4I9KMG5A@MAIL-CLUSTER.PCY.MCI.NET>
Raw Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 05:39:26 +0800

Raw message

From: amp <Alan.Pugh@internetMCI.COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 05:39:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: consent

-- [ From: amp * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

I'm not completely sure of the attribution here, as cypherpunks
appears to be sending batches of messages to me with grunged From
lines.

VN> .  How exactly is consent extractedH^H^H^H^H^H^ requested?

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like
fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment
should it be left to irresponsible action." G. Washington.

Consent is extracted by force of arms.

VN> .  When exactly is consent identified?

I believe that the rulers of this country consider the lack of
politicians hanging from town squares to indicate implied consent.

VN> .  How exactly is government applied to the consentees?
VN>    (caning, jailing, fines, etc.)

And death.

VN> .  How exactly do consentors change methodologies when they
VN> suddenly realize that they, too, can be subject to their own device?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you are asking how the rulers
react when they find themselves subject to their own evil devices, I
would say that they generally attempt to change the rules. An example
of this is that it is almost impossible to sue a federal officials
because of the broad immunity to prosecution afforded by current
federal law.

VN> .  Why should non-consenting citizens live with governing methods
VN> which in fact conflict with the pursuit of those three human
VN> virtues:  life, liberty, happiness?

Fear of the goverment monopoly of force?

VN> Supposedly, government is devised for ruling the "unruly";  a matter
VN> for definition and (dis)agreement which can provide endless hours
VN> of amusement for authoritarians, especially in court.

And those courts can be used to further browbeat the citizens through
inconsistant rulings on vaguely written laws. I believe vague laws
are one of america's great evils because of the uncertainty they
bring.

VN> I hear tell that many who are no longer amused are now learning the
VN> many uses of encryption.  Thus the list.

And arming themselves with more lethal munitions as well.

Interesting questions. I believe that there is a larger groundswell
of resentment here and elsewhere than governments believe.

Consider, when breaking federal law is this easy...

#!/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-3-lines-PERL
$m=unpack(H.$w,$m."\0"x$w),$_=`echo "16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%Sa
2/d0<X+d*La1=z\U$n%0]SX$k"[$m*]\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\W//g,print
pack('H*',$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length$n&~1)/2)

Then something is _truely_ wrong with the laws.

replies to amp@pobox.com please.

Thread