1996-02-21 - RE: Internet Privacy Guaranteed

Header Data

From: Blake Coverett <blake@bcdev.com>
To: “cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 9e9f720f2dff54f78e468a43d867b9b7dc69089534e00385528781e60f818d7d
Message ID: <01BAFF6F.3016C000@bcdev.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 22:40:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Blake Coverett <blake@bcdev.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 22:40:32 +0800
To: "cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Internet Privacy Guaranteed

>Err... okay, maybe I don't have this figured out.  Still sounds like OTPs,
>and someone selling random data at $15 a pop per month.  Having multiple
>floppies mailed to me monthly, with all the inherent difficulties, sounds
>like a lot more work than public-key management.  My bozometer is pegged.

It gets even worse by my reading of this thread.  They send out the first lot
of pseudo-OTP via some *nominally* secure channel, but then the send you
the subsequent months via the Internet.  (Presumably encrypted with one of
your existing keys.)

This adds up to a system that isn't event a pseudo-OPT.  It's just a conventional
rotor-based cryptosystem, with an unevaluated implementation.  Break one message
containing a batch of new keys and the entire system is defeated forever.

-Blake

Thread