1996-02-16 - Re: Spin Control Alert (LI Newsday, 2/12/96)

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: jamesd@echeque.com
Message Hash: 9f605ecda05467bae729a0642ad1db1443cfee04a077ba86237851c4c99828be
Message ID: <Il8XBey00YUs0OHuMT@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199602140542.VAA18716@news1.best.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-16 19:46:20 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 03:46:20 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 03:46:20 +0800
To: jamesd@echeque.com
Subject: Re: Spin Control Alert (LI Newsday, 2/12/96)

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 13-Feb-96 Re: Spin Control Alert (LI
.. by jamesd@echeque.com
> Not obvious to me.
>
> While the religious right clearly supported the push to regulate the
> internet, the main push seemed to me to come from the existing mass
> media, primarily the three big TV channels.

The religious right did not *support* the "push to regulate the
Internet" -- they drafted, defended, and pushed through the damn CDA!

Did you *read* the message I posted, with information about how the
religious right/anti-porn groups created and then worked to push this
legislation through Congress?

Did you *read* the files in my Rimm archive, detailing how an editor at
the Georgetown Law Journal worked to get Rimm's "research" approved for
publication? Did you know that he's a leading anti-porn activist?

Did you *read* Mike Godwin's collection of articles about how the
religious right organied the anti-porn scare?

Certainly the mass media were complicit, but they served a supporting role.

-Declan

Thread