1996-02-09 - V-Chip Settings Escrow

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a86f37ce9aefc2ab7af3e06c0ae225219b3dae3ff0166e39d0231dae380af21e
Message ID: <ad40e8053202100460b1@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:50:53 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:50:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: V-Chip Settings Escrow

At 7:03 PM 2/9/96, Alexander Chislenko wrote:

>  Now if your child wants to go over to Billy's, you may want to call
>Billy's mom and ask her what her V-Chip settings are.
>Do not forget to ask her when was the last time she beat Billy at any computer
>game...

It seems to me that by the logic--and possibly the direct language--of the
Communications Decency Act, parents who "expose" the children of others to
higher levels of V-Chip ratings than they get at home would themselves be
liable.

Plus, how long will it be before Children's Protective Services interviews
children at their schools to determine if parents have set their V-Chip
levels too high?

Will divorcing parents demand specific V-Chip settings when the kids are at
the ex-spouse's place? Or use the V-Chip settings in custody battles? ("My
ex-husband has a setting of 2-3-2, according to my son, and I find this
completely unacceptable.")

Maybe we'll see "V-Chip Settings Escrow."  "Under this system, V-Chip
settings must be voluntarily escrowed with Child Protective Services.
Should an incident of abuse be alleged, the escrowed V-Chip settings can be
examined by social service workers for evidence of deviant viewing
behaviors."

--Tim May

Boycott espionage-enabled software!