1996-02-06 - Re: Fair Credit Reporting Act and Privacy Act

Header Data

From: Tim Philp <bplib@wat.hookup.net>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: ae64034eb174d91d0640c62a9643c23f12e451e88bf37391c3626a55129aa6da
Message ID: <Pine.OSF.3.91.960205185331.12684C-100000@nic.wat.hookup.net>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960205200507.006fa0ac@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-06 14:55:17 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 22:55:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim Philp <bplib@wat.hookup.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 22:55:17 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Fair Credit Reporting Act and Privacy Act

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> Unfortunately, it would also:
>
> *  Require government registration of computers and databases containing
> information about people (whether these computers are used by business or
> individuals).  This eases regulation of computers and future confiscation.

I don't believe that this follows at all. All that would be required
would be a statutory obligation to comply with the legislation. Should a
breach occur, civil and criminal penalties would apply. No need for prior
restraint.

> *  Reduce market efficiency by making it harder to match buyers and sellers
> (because neither could easily find out about he other) thus causing higher
> prices and poorer people.

It would not make it harder for buyers and sellers to get together, it
would simply increase the risk. It may lead to higher prices, but I am
prepared to pay something to protect my privacy.

> *  Do nothing to protect personal information from the government which
> would get to collect more of it than ever in the course of enforcing data
> protection laws.

It would be very hard to prevent the government keeping files on you.
They have requirements such as tax collection etc that would require
keeping files. What I would like to see is similar protection of my data
that is stored on goverment computers. Should my information be released,
the agency responsible should have to pay compensation. Such is the price
of not keeping my information secret.

> If you don't want people to know things about you, don't tell them.

I agree that in the absolute sense, this is true. However, it is not
practical to do so in our modern society. If you are prepared to live
without credit or health insurance you can do this but the price is too
high for most people to consider.
Regards,
Tim Philp

Thread