1996-02-16 - re True democracy in America.

Header Data

From: “Michael Peponis” <mianigand@unique.outlook.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aeb8cf150b94f1d5e21daacaf4e76327eb901d3f31abaa72dd54f17f974b9372
Message ID: <199602161324.HAA01206@unique.outlook.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 21:48:47 +0800

Raw message

From: "Michael Peponis" <mianigand@unique.outlook.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 21:48:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re True democracy in America.

>}Is ok. I suspect that we are narrowing on a similar position. Would like
>}to see a time when net communications make "representatives of the people"
>}obsolete" since majority voting on any issue can be "anytime,anywhere".
>}Doubt that it will happen soon.
>
><rm>
>
>I too would like to see a purely democratic process rather than a
>representative one.  And I also agree that it won't happen soon.  The
>question is, what do we keep of govt?

In my opinion, only the most basic of services, trash collection, road
maintenance, education (decided upon experts, not just people with opinions.
I don't claime to be an expert on history, so why should I have a say on how it
is tought, I have no expertise in that area).

In a true democracy, which is based on a very diverse general populace, will
result in a system that will not be able to pass any legislation except those
described above, it will be imporable for the majority to agree to anything
except the most basic things.

Why I hate this goverment is that it tries to decide what is right and wrong,
that is my decision, not theirs.  I am accountable to me and my God as to what
I do with my life, I am not accountable to any society as long as I do not
infrige on someone elses rights.

Unfortunalty, I don't see such a goverment happening, I don't care about if
anyone else likes the way I choose to conduct my life or not, but the majority
of any country has this assine persistance to perpetuate their traditions and
beliefs on others, it is their form of progegation.  It's true what is being
said  sometimes you just gotta Nuke'em
Regards,
Michael Peponis
PGP Key Avalible form MIT Key Server,or via finger

Thread