1996-02-23 - Re: Public Access Obsolete. Capitalism offers free email

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: fletch@ain.bls.com
Message Hash: b369f23b424b7e2b8b76b35c39ae1995166f8ff6f4833e47883de472ef13d772
Message ID: <01I1IRFBEE2UAKTL4K@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 08:03:07 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 08:03:07 +0800
To: fletch@ain.bls.com
Subject: Re: Public Access Obsolete. Capitalism offers free email

From:	IN%"fletch@ain.bls.com"  "Mike Fletcher" 22-FEB-1996 03:53:16.20

>	Who says the code has to run on their machine.  Just forward
>all incoming mail off to another box, and send all the outgoing mail out
>from the free account.  Depending of course on whether it's some sort
>of shell account or if you POP/SMTP to their box.

	I'd guess it's some sort of dialin (possibly via tymnet or some such).
In that case, you'd simply have your remailer on your system at home, calling
the system up at some (probably randomly determined) time and downloading the
incoming mail and uploading whatever outgoing mail that (given latency) you
wanted to go out at that point. (Any on-encrypted email, such as their ads,
you'd be able to filter out very easily). You could even potentially run it
off of a portable computer. For unattended running, the hardware RNG would be
best, of course.
	-Allen

Thread