1996-02-26 - Re: Internet shutdown Feb 29?

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: “Jeffrey I. Schiller” <jis@mit.edu>
Message Hash: b79b1a2207faea706f1c4bdd3bf7aa477366f742d3d62de3958f58d6aa8fa7a8
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960225162707.21619A-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <ad567e9300021004c463@[18.162.1.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-26 01:07:49 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:07:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:07:49 +0800
To: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <jis@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Internet shutdown Feb 29?

On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:

> Yeah, from several of ISP's and others (including one un-named government
> organization that wanted to FAX us the message, for security reasons,
> didn't want to send it over the network).

As a matter of interest, I wonder how much of the internet could be
shut down by concerted effort; obviously individual services can be
trivially disabled by jamming listen queues (not really stoppable by
anything short of IPSEC w/photuris). The BGP backbone could probably be
disabled from within by a traitor planted in one of big companies, and a
confused backhoe around the MAEs could probably do a lot more damage than
people would like to admit. It seems that the internet is getting pretty
brittle- I wonder if it would be worthwhile having some sort of infranet
with a bunch of backups links using dial-up lines or spare transponders
(with a filter to block port 80 :-)

It's probably not possible with  todays routing technology
(slow, flappy links with nightmarish convergence times), plus it's not
sexy like a nice OC-12 SONET. This is the sort of thing the NCSC should
be working on- something to keep the essential services flowing in the
early stages of an info-war, or an info truck-bomb

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO

Thread