1996-02-02 - Re: cypherpunks press

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Message Hash: be47f44c98753fc5d258c5f2402e736ab39d1cdd4e34f1ea039e24fa23dc2d6f
Message ID: <199602022111.QAA12320@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <ad37e33d0002100422e4@[132.162.233.188]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-02 22:58:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 06:58:56 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 06:58:56 +0800
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Subject: Re: cypherpunks press

Jonathan Rochkind writes:
> The 29 January New Yorker has an article "Hackworm" that discusses the
> Mitnick-Shimomura-Markoff echoing cypherpunks lack of sympathy for the
> Markoff-Shimomura P.R. extravaganza.  Article ends mentioning cypherpunks
> and John Gilmore specifically, discussion of crypto politics, while not
> entirely toe-ing the cypherpunks party line, an enhearteningly informed and
> rational treatement.

Could someone please explain to me why Mitnick is a cypherpunk issue?
Myself, I have neither sympathy nor lack of sympathy for the
Markoff-Shimomura "pr extravaganza", see no "cypherpunk" opinion on
the subject, and don't see any reason we should, as a group, discuss
or care about the topic.

Perry

Thread