1996-02-18 - Re: Science News - article on Quantum Crypto

Header Data

From: Alexandra Griffin <acg@mandrake.cen.ufl.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: beabf374cce26e817916f092cad37b9ab65bb56d2c54fccb52076b3945a7c16b
Message ID: <199602181818.NAA21065@mandrake.cen.ufl.edu>
Reply To: <v02120d06ad48d5e6491a@[199.0.65.105]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-18 18:47:07 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 02:47:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Alexandra Griffin <acg@mandrake.cen.ufl.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 02:47:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Science News - article on Quantum Crypto

Bob writes:

> Does anyone know if the new in-line optical amplifiers (not switches!) have
> any effect on quantum crypto messages?

Yes, any active devices in your communications path would be unable to
function without making some kind of classical measurement on the
photons involved (e.g. measuring phase relative to a definite test
angle, if phase is what's being modulated), thereby collapsing the
wavefunction and spoiling any special properties afforded by being
able to send photons down the line without "looking at them."  Optical
repeaters have to pass your signal through an intermediate electronic
stage anyway, since we have no purely optical valve/transistor
equivalents (bosons don't interact with each other at all).

Can someone think of a reason why this wouldn't necessarily be so?

> Cheers,
> Bob Hettinga

- alex

Thread