1996-02-17 - Re: Using lasers to communicate

Header Data

From: SINCLAIR DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
To: dsmith@midwest.net (David E. Smith)
Message Hash: c547debbf635c0872f0bab80b9f613e6850aec624897d86beec7671719d54a7f
Message ID: <96Feb17.170738edt.666@cannon.ecf.toronto.edu>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960217173350.0067d5b4@204.248.40.2>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-17 22:32:00 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 06:32:00 +0800

Raw message

From: SINCLAIR  DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 06:32:00 +0800
To: dsmith@midwest.net (David E. Smith)
Subject: Re: Using lasers to communicate

> >An interception device will stick out like dogs balls.  Whoever wants to tap
> >my line is going to have to build a tower.
>
> Depends upon how paranoid you want to be.  A small radio-controlled
> helicopter is available cheaply at Radio Shack, and might even be
> capable of holding a receiver, re-transmitter and recorder.

If I wanted to intercept a laser beam I'd spray an aerosol mist
into the beam and look at the scatter.  On a dusty or humid day I
might not need the aerosol.

Why not just encrypt the link?  Then anyone can tap and it doesn't matter.
I'm in the process of building a tightbeam microwave link that can carry
2 Mbps over 50Km.  Anybody got any gunn transceivers they don't need?

Thread