1996-02-28 - PGP 3.0/4.0

Header Data

From: “A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security” <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c6306d123b8db2c0383f1173f455fa2a3e1841d9ee99bdb74bb21154bef02d4f
Message ID: <960228142224.2022b01c@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 03:49:56 +0800

Raw message

From: "A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security" <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 03:49:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP 3.0/4.0

Subj:	Re: ViaCryptPGP 4.0?! (was Re: PGP integrated into Z-Mail)

For those who have joined us recently, PGP v 2.6x is essentially free for
individual use under MIT's (and the gov's) exemption/permission for the
use of patents helt at the moment by PKP/Cylink/RSA (not even going to
get into that mess).

For commercial use a license to use the RSA and IDEA components is
necessary through fate or some such ViaCrypt obtained such a license
before PGP became a Big Thing and with Phil's blessing formed a commercial
unit to distribute what is called ViaCrypt PGP.

Because of what I do, I spent the money to purchse the first product,
ViaCrypt PGP v2.4 (PGP 2.3 analogue). In due course, when PGP v2.5 and
2.6x came out, Viacrypt followed suit with v2.7 and then 2.71 for Windows
and I upgraded.

Because the next "public" release is scheduled to be 3.0, the next ViaCrypt
which will include the corporate featured (with escrow capability) Business
Edition will be known as 4.0 with versions for PC, Mac, Unix, and VMS.

Both 2.7 and what I have seen of 4.0 (not released yet) have a switch that
allows backwards compatability if desired (know back to 2.3, not sure about
earlier ones).

The most compelling features of 4.0 are the floating toolbar or "Enclyptor"
which allows use inside any Windoze program that supports cut & paste (have
used it inside a Telnet session with a remote host and inside ccMail) and
the "group" feature.

Have no connection with Viacrypt other than knowing some of the people and
"putting my money where my mouse is".

						Warmly,
							Padgett

Thread