1996-02-15 - [ASSASSINATION NOISE] Re: V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: c89544fbd39991288478fd59dc04db0f6b1e446f728cae86d4e879dbd27a0208
Message ID: <199602150411.UAA07780@ix2.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 20:05:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 20:05:15 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: [ASSASSINATION NOISE] Re: V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

At 11:36 AM 2/13/96 -0800, you wrote:

>The Rushdie incident is simply so far removed from "Assassination Politics"
>that it can't possibly be used to refute it; I still believe it actually
>demonstrates how much effort somebody has to go to, to protect a targeted
>person.  One targeted person is easy to protect.  10,000 would be FAR
>harder.  And the moment a few of those guys got "whacked," the rest would
>want to resign their jobs and hope they would be allowed to retire in peace.

Rushdie is just low on your target list.  I agree that it's much harder
to protect 10,000 people (say the Iranians put out a contract on Baha'is
and other heretics, at $X/head...) but it's still abusable.  Maybe the
Anonymous Captains of Industry put out a contract on strike leaders.

>From a cypherpunks perspective, yes you could run an assassination lottery,
though it might be hard for the assassin to collect - how do you prove
that _you_ were the hit man, and not merely the nearest person to a phone
after it happened?  How do you prevent an anonymous escrow agency from refusing
to deliver the cash?  Some of the protocols may be difficult to work out.

Meanwhile
        WANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE
        JIM BELL
        REWARD 13 demo-cyberbucks

An assassination-sponsoring society is _not_ a polite society.

#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com / billstewart@attmail.com +1-415-442-2215
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs     Pager +1-408-787-1281