1996-02-19 - Re: Req. for soundbites

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d29ab8a4ef3bc41018fdbd4edcab613b2ddda3b060671bdd5cdcc1151eb084c9
Message ID: <199602191257.HAA09741@pipe12.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 21:30:39 +0800

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 21:30:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Req. for soundbites

On Feb 18, 1996 19:27:04, 'frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)' wrote:

>>A local TV station has asked me for an interview, after I sent a graphic
>>of a mono-digital hand gesture with the phrase "censor this!" to the
Prez,
>>Veep, and the area congresscritters (cc'd to 2 TV stations and a radio
>>station), accompanied by a 'confession' and demand for swift prosecution.

>>Anyone got any nifty sound bites I can try to toss in?

I do not think that sound bites are the way to deal with these complex
issues.

"Sound bites," (a.k.a. bumper stickers, advertising jingles, or more
accurately "magical thinking") contribute to the problem where
emotionally-charged issues are able to bypass the critical facilities. So
many of the attacks on crypto and the net are based exactly on sound bites
around the "Four Horsemen" coupled with magical incantations on simple ways
to defeat the problem.

One does not fight magic with magic but with science; one does not fight
bad hysteria with good hysteria but with adult thinking.

--tallpaul

Thread