1996-02-18 - Re: Ben T. Moore “Mr. Anonymous”

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d70aebb9be55b4995a2b189a6bf4fabdaf738dc07555d9c5319a0bef177d299d
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960218222556.00d635bc@panix.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:51:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:51:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ben T. Moore "Mr. Anonymous"

At 09:33 PM 2/14/96 -0800, hochiminh@alpha.c2.org wrote:

>So while you are off being a cool anonymous dude the rest of us are paying
for >the AFDC you ex-wife has to use to feed the kids.

No individual is responsible for the fact that AFDC exists and steals wealth
from others.  The government and its supporters are responsible for that
crime.
>This is a violation of Indiana Code but breaking the law is of no concern
to you, huh?

Hardly ever prosecuted.  In addition, if you use a mail drop for a DMV
address and the authorities ever "call" you on it, you can use the Homeless
Defense.  As far as I know, the homeless have the right to drive.  Also, if
your license/registration is in a jurisdiction other than the one in which
you find yourself, your "lies" to the foreign jurisdiction do not violate
local law.

>This [opening a mail drop in a false name] is a violation of Indiana and
>Federal Laws depending on how they are used.

Has never been prosecuted.  Very hard to prove in any case since the mailbox
clerk is unlikely to remember the person who opened the box account and if
you are really worried, you can just add a second phony name to the first
name without any false ID having to be presented.  You can then collect mail
under the second name and ignore the name in which the account was opened.

>Another violation of Indiana Code [opening utility accounts in false names].

I doubt that if there is no intent to defraud (hide bad credit for example).
If you can later prove that your credit was good and the account would have
been opened in any case, then there is no misrepresentation of a material
fact and you can fall back on the common law right to call yourself by any
name you choose.  No prosecutions in any case.

It never ceases to amaze me that people invoke never used laws to try and
control the behavior of others.  Did you know that sodomy is illegal in
(circa) 22 states?  Does this reduce the incidence of same.  Use it or lose it.

DCF

Thread