1996-02-27 - Re: “Physical Reality”

Header Data

From: mark@ausnetinfo.com.au (Mark)
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Message Hash: d76584b483be76a1d2eae51d4db4946fb014b8884074c93e21431b3d7114cadb
Message ID: <199602272141.IAA06008@ausnetinfo.com.au>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960227181316.0070e158@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-27 22:45:50 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 06:45:50 +0800

Raw message

From: mark@ausnetinfo.com.au (Mark)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 06:45:50 +0800
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Subject: Re: "Physical Reality"

>Boiled down to its essentials, this argument can be expressed by the lyrics
>of the song "Bad Boys" as used as the theme song of the reality TV show
>"Cops."  For those who no longer participate in the previous culture, they are:
>
>Bad Boys, Bad Boys
>Whatcha gonna do?
>Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?
>Bad Boys, Bad Boys
>
>repeat endlessly.
>
>I would suggest instead that the critics of cryptoanarchy are out of touch
>with "physical reality."
>
>For the "Bad Boys" to come for you, a whole series of requirements must be
>in place:
>
>1)  There must be Bad Boys
>2)  They must be able to travel
>3)  There must be a reason for them to come "for you".  They need motivation
>4)  There must be a you
>5)  The Bad Boys must know where you are
>6)  The Bad Boys must be able to travel to where you are
>7)  The answer to the question "Whatcha gonna do?" must be "nothing" (This
>would seem to be implied by the song.)
>8)  They must have something to do to you when they "come for you" otherwise
>the journey is a waste of time.

I dislike having to follow up something so unrelated, but the bad boys are the
criminals, the song is about what will you do when the cops come for you.
The cops are not the "bad boys" in the song. Trust me.

Mark

Thread