1996-02-01 - Declan appearing on “Europe’s Most Wanted”

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: da2ac0b97d68e84e1d9f7e0d3a1647fbe33827176cef53711a47345e8ab22e1d
Message ID: <ad35b1f0060210043fc3@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:25:18 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:25:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Declan appearing on "Europe's Most Wanted"

At 7:27 AM 2/1/96, sameer wrote:
>> I guess Declan M. won't be visting France or any of the other EU countries
>> any time soon!
>
>        That reminds me of a question--
>
>        If, for example, Germany decides that my company is in
>violation of their laws for mirroring the Zundelsite, will they send
>us a letter saying that, so we know not to go to Germany?

The Nebraska-based neo-Nazi publisher who was picked up in Denmark and
extradited to Germany pretty much knew his actions were illegal in Germany,
but I doubt (sheer speculation on my part) he had ever been formally
notified that an arrest warrant had been issued by Germany and could be
exercised in Denmark.

The situation with Declan, Sameer, Duncan, and others, is even less clear.
Things are moving much faster now that the Net is the means of
distribution. I was of course half-joking about Declan visiting Europe, but
surely France could decide to throw the book at him, and any EU country he
entered (such as Ireland, judging from his name) could hold him at their
entry point and ship him off to France to "set an example."

I suspect the U.S. never officially notified that Monterrey, Mexico alleged
drug dealer that he was wanted in the U.S., and as other kidnappings of
foreigners have shown, the U.S. feels it unnecessary to formally announce
to foreigners that they may be arrested in the U.S. (or kidnapped into the
U.S.). Thus, I strongly suspect that France will not bother to notify
Declan or Sameer or any of us that they face arrest in France (or
affiliated EU countries).

In Declan's case, I suspect France wants him for the Mitterand book and
Germany wants him for the Zundelsite mirrors. The lesser European countries
will of course follow their leads.

Seriously, Declan, I admire what you've done, but I hope you don't plan to
leave the U.S. for Europe anytime soon.

--Tim

Boycott espionage-enabled software!