1996-02-20 - Re: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

Header Data

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dca66fdf3dbe887f66691f9c90703b7c694522cf2d3cbf40db7a7649b47215dd
Message ID: <199602192342.RAA28868@proust.suba.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960219221817.006ce4a8@mail.aracnet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-20 00:53:08 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 08:53:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 08:53:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

> I'd like to agree, but I'm afraid I can't. Notice that many years of
> widespread use of currently illegal drugs in the US has not translated into
> widespread willingness to say that the drugs should be legal.

This is a a bad example:  drugs are a destructive, negative thing, and
practical experience with them makes people wary.  Freedom, on the other
hand, it a good thing and experience with it will bear that out.

Having said that, there is a lot of support for legal and non-violent ways
to distribute drugs.  I would be surprised if it doesn't happen in 20 or
30 years.

> Nor has the
> experience of decades of black markets turned into widespread Russian
> willingness to allow a lot more freedom: what they call "profiteering" and
> punish heavily is mostly what we call "wholesaling" and regard as an
> essential part of mundane distribution.

I'll have to defer to you on this -- I don't know the ins and outs of
commerce in Russia.  But my impression, as an uninformed layman, was that
the experience with illegal capitalist trading in the black market had
preceeded (and softened them up for?) legal capitalist transactions above
ground.

Thread