1996-02-24 - Re: pcmcia

Header Data

From: geeman@best.com
To: “P.J. Ponder” <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
Message Hash: de2be1a959d0455a2c6e0f1fd945a036653a00cdde83443742d212e7cc2eb446
Message ID: <199602230502.VAA04115@mail1.best.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 21:18:23 +0800

Raw message

From: geeman@best.com
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 21:18:23 +0800
To: "P.J. Ponder" <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: pcmcia

At 10:58 AM 2/22/96 +0000, you wrote:
>I am just assuming that the Association (PCMCIA) has a way of distributing
>specs, etc.

You can call them in San Jose, CA @ 408 433 2273
$475.00 for non-members, paper only.  $715, paper/CD both.

www.pc-card.com, I believe

>I think PCMCIA cards offer a lot of
>potential as wallets and general purpose privacy prophylaxis engines.

Absolutely, and without doubt.  They are coming.

>I don't know anything about the technology, but the device drivers, et al,
>could be publicly reviewed and recompiled on trusted machines, presumably,
>and the device itself could be tested (I assume) with a publicly
>available routine that once again one could install from source, etc.

There are commercially available drivers, tested rigorously.  Fortezza cards
and s/w are very solid, as well as other cards derived from that type of
technology.  Fortezza cards are self-testing.

>how much do the slots cost to add on to pc's that don't already have them?
>Is there a parallel interface, for instance, that can plug into a
>printer port?

SCM Microsystems, 408 370 4888 has a "Swap Box" product.  I don't know the cost.

>--
>PJ
>
>On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Adam Shostack wrote:
>
>> P.J. Ponder wrote:
>>
>> | obligatory crypto comment: has anyone looked at the iPower card and
>> | gotten one to play with? Where else could one get a PCMCIA card that was
>> | programmable and had a little memory on it? How hard would it be to make
>> | one - in other words, what could we get the cost down to for an
>> | encrypting pcmcia card? there couldn't be much to it, really, could there?
>>
>> 	I got one, its very badly documented; theres some source in
>> Visual basic for windoze.  I haven't had time to track down real docs
>> so I can do anything.  Anyone know who I can call to get real
>> documentation?
>>
>> Adam
>>

>> --
>> "It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once."
>> 					               -Hume

Thread