1996-02-07 - Re: [noise] the individual and the tribe

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f4d25fb1b408ff58464200e9ba4a10d66c03b9e423d7116bcea937ca2860e751
Message ID: <199602071645.IAA22893@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 01:07:38 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 01:07:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [noise] the individual and the tribe

Jean-Francois Avon (JFA Technologies, QC, Canada) wrote:
>I absolutely don't agree.  The subordination of the individual to the tribe
>is fundamental of their vision of the world.

Some tribal societies are individualist, some are not:  Most of the
myths and legends of the Australian Aboriginals have a lone ranger
character as the hero or villain, or at least most of the ones
that I have read feature a person whose life is dramatic or heroic in part
because he is tribeless, perhaps for the same reason as most heroes
in Disney cartoons are orphans.

 Individualism is not about the
>personnal opinions, it is about the vision of Man as an entity in itself, not
>a type of cattle that owe his service to the collectivity of the tribe.
>
>Crypto makes the tribe (and it's sorcerers) loose their grip... :)
>
>JFA

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com