1996-02-13 - Re: A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

Header Data

From: strata@virtual.net
To: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Message Hash: f5313d8d0e25d8ef6b8e77484886bf4375d00db9db440ad93f1d85b6e283fb3c
Message ID: <CMM.0.90.2.824172470.strata@virtual-city.virtual.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:11:07 +0800

Raw message

From: strata@virtual.net
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:11:07 +0800
To: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Re: A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

Oh, hey, no problem.

You're not the only one, despite the explicit reference in the document.
Whether I like it or not, this industry is largely centered around and
run by men.  I always got a kick out of people's assumptions that my
resume and my writing must "naturally" belong to a guy.  Apparently
the dominant paradigm thinks I'm holding my own in the rat race.

I learned to take it as a compliment years ago; the same thing
happened in 3 out of 5 phone screenings for job interviews.
What's really been entertaining is where we did email prescreening and
I showed up for an interview and got to watch someone's mental
transmission popping its syncromesh for a moment.  <grin>  They always
recover quickly and continue the shift into "interview mode", and I
get that nice warm glow of having broadened someone's horizons.

Cheers,
_Strata

Thread