1996-03-11 - Re: Index of Coincidence

Header Data

From: “Rev. Ben” <samman-ben@CS.YALE.EDU>
To: Marc North <mnorth@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 18edeb7ea92f37ea52131fe78760f976a6928a577bdaf1a84f33fb3c20ccea2b
Message ID: <Pine.A32.3.91.960309200124.5902A-100000@POWERED.ZOO.CS.YALE.EDU>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960309113033.18346B-100000@netcom12>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-11 00:38:58 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:38:58 +0800

Raw message

From: "Rev. Ben" <samman-ben@CS.YALE.EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:38:58 +0800
To: Marc North <mnorth@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Index of Coincidence

> I'm looking for detailed information on a statistical tool to aid in
> cryptanalysis called an "index of coincidence".  I would appreciate it if
> someone could please explain what this is, how one builds such an index
> against a given ciphertext, and how it is valuable in the cryptanalysis of
> said ciphertext.

Given a ciphertext X with discrete components x[1], x[2], ... x[n],  I[c]
is the probability that two random elements of x are identical.

Ben.

"If what Proust says is true, that happiness is the absence of fever, then
I will never know happiness. For I am possessed by a fever for knowledge,
experience, and creation."                                      -Anais Nin
Want to give a soon-to-be college grad a job?         Mail me for a resume

Thread