1996-03-30 - Re: Why Americans feel no compulsion to learn foreign languages

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1ac84f28c5cd741f34e25dcaf17445b0c8d9c308257b14a55b60fc8c1c161d76
Message ID: <iDyLLD22w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <ad8241c03f021004d4c1@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-30 18:09:35 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 02:09:35 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 02:09:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why Americans feel no compulsion to learn foreign languages

tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May) writes:
> At 12:50 PM 3/29/96, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:
>
> >Likewise, Tim says there's no value in learning about "traditional" crypto.
> >I say there is.
>
> This is taken completely out of context and is beneath contempt in terms of
> trying to argue a point.

No, I think both of Tim's statements illustrate the typical Americans disdain
for learning for knowledge's sake and the (still amazing to me) ability to
express pride in their ignorance. Most Americans lack the motivation to learn
a foreign language (or even their native language), or to learn what great
naval battles of WW II were won because certain codes were broken, or how to
prove that two triangles are congruent, or how to break a substitution cypher,
since this knowledge won't bring immediate monetary rewards. It's as if though
their challenge is to go through life learning as little as they can get away
with (other than obscure sports statistics).

---

Dr. Dimitri Vulis