1996-03-13 - Re: How’s that again?

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: 2c786aea79137bd3c9f0a4a842b93e59d334ede86e58a63f55a53050cbb0df81
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960313102923.008ca650@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:51:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:51:25 +0800
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: How's that again?

At 10:43 PM 3/12/96 -0800, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:
>
>> "Cypherpunk" is not a trademarked name. I've seen people say on this list
>> (paraphrased)..."I'm hosting a cypherpunks meeting and X will not be
>> permitted to come because I don't like his political views". I like
>> reading this list, but if these views are compatible with being a
>> cypherpunk, then I'm not one.
>
>No one has ever made an announcement on the Cypherpunks list such
>as the one you "paraphrased."  The meetings have always been open
>to everyone.
>
>If the good doctor is referring to my univiting of Jim Bell to
>a private party held AFTER a Cypherpunk meeting he had better
>get his facts straight.  Jim Bell would have been welcome at the
>Cypherpunks meeting.  He would not have been welcome at my party,
>though, because of his intemperate bad manners, NOT his politics.

Jim Bell is confused.  He was assuming that you were refering to the Feb
Cypherpunks meeting held in Portland.  The meeting was held in a private
residence and Jim was asked not to attend because the owner of the apartment
did not want to deal with Mr. Bell's poor behaviour.  It had nothing to do
with his political beliefs.  It had everything to do with how he handles
himself when his views are challenged.

But then, everything that happens in Portland that is not to Jim's
satisfaction is somehow my fault...
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon

Thread