1996-03-13 - Second mini-AIR report on PGP-Y

Header Data

From: Mark Aldrich <maldrich@grctechs.va.grci.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3c28f41041c86e6a2a12558a564f193574cefc611e55a7979b33ca9d4607c318
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.91.960312194444.13406A-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 12:05:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Mark Aldrich <maldrich@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 12:05:49 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Second mini-AIR report on PGP-Y

The following appeared in the latest issue of The mini-Annals of
Improbable Research ("mini-AIR"), Issue Number 1996-03,
March, 1996, ISSN 1076-500X (a superb sceince journal that comes with
my highest recommendation, BTW):

1996-03-05	PGP-Y Ill Advised

Reader Andrew Rock has been investigating our foolproof data
security protocol, PGP-Y (Pretty Good Parasychology). He intuited
this missive to us:

"You were ill-advised to release the details of your PGP-Y --
"Pretty Good Parapsychology" protocol on an international mailing
list such as mini_AIR. US law prohibits the export of such highly
secure transmission technology, defining it as munitions. Your
proposal must await government-approved key espcrow [sic] systems
rumoured to be under consideration by the NSA. The approved
systems will prohibit the possession or transmission of ideas
beyond the imagination of government officers. Please do not
carelessly put the publication of AIR at risk while I have nearly
two years left on my subscription."

Investigator Trevor Green and a large team at the University of
Saskatchewan have also been laboring in the field. Green reports:

"After an initial trial period of PGP-Y within our department, we
have had some disappointing initial results. While the
transmission rate is nothing short of paraphenomenal, the security
mechanism is, alas, not wholly foolproof -- everything worked
fine, until my friend Steve started imagining that he was
intercepting the telepathically-transmitted data. We are sure that
this technical loophole may be overcome but wish to alert your
paranormal engineers to the oversight. Meanwhile, I am pleased to
report that the credit-card fraud charges against Steve will be
settled out of court."

|      Liberty is truly dead              |Mark Aldrich                 |
|    when the slaves are willing          |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|     to forge their own chains.          |maldrich@grci.com            |
|        STOP THE CDA NOW!                |MAldrich@dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich@grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |