1996-03-16 - Re: Cypherpunks reference in Netscape book

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: corey@hedgehog.mcom.com (Corey Bridges)
Message Hash: 455e43aa2071eac9d353458f08416c121ff2ef6e4eb5b66cc8c78b17709ba186
Message ID: <199603160637.WAA14724@ix3.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 18:49:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 18:49:43 +0800
To: corey@hedgehog.mcom.com (Corey Bridges)
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks reference in Netscape book

At 12:37 AM 3/15/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm writing the "Encryption and SSL" chapter for the Netscape products, and
>I'm finishing it up with a "Further reading" section that lists
>crypto-related books, web sites, and newsgroups. I was thinking of including
>a reference to this mailing list.
>
>Any strong opinions either way?

The big problem with the list isn't just signal-to-noise,
it's VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME - you don't want somebody to subscribe
and get flodded with 100 messages/day without warning.
(There's also the problem with newbies sending us mail
saying "please send me some anarkist crypt0 warez, d00ds!"

If you're going to refer to the list, please mention
        - the cypherpunks home page is www.csua.berkeley.edu/cypherpunks
        - you can browse the list with a news reader at nntp.hks.net
                and with the web at www.hks.net (delayed a bit).
        - the list is high volume, 50-100 messages/day,
        - there are lots of readers, 500-1000, who get all the mail sent to
the list.
                help
        - oh, BTW, if you _do_ want to subscribe, cypherpunks-request@toad.com
                is the canonical location, and majordomo@toad.com is the droid.
#--
#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215 pager 408-787-1281
# "At year's end, however, new government limits on Internet access threatened
# to halt the growth of Internet use.  [...] Government control of news media
# generally continues to depend on self-censorship to regulate political and
# social content, but the authorities also consistently penalize those who
# exceed the permissable."  - US government statement on China...

Thread