1996-03-03 - Duress

Header Data

From: “A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security” <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f74cbac65ca9ca9a858b423df2038819184a8cd0fcbaa8338ecb9fecb61698f
Message ID: <960303121209.2020214e@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 01:45:22 +0800

Raw message

From: "A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security" <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 01:45:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Duress

>Ms. Wilson then gave into the pressure applied and gave
>the passwords required by Justice Haggerty.

Those of you who follow FIREWALLS may recall that I premote the use of
"minefields" on networks, machines that should never be accessed and will
trigger an alarm/response on any access.

Some years ago I wrote a spec for cryptographic securing of notebooks/
E-Mail that included a "duress" capability: a "password" that, when
entered would appear to be properly accepted but would report an error
on retrieval. Optional was to be overwriting of any material whose access
was attempted.

For some time people have been puzzled when I have said that good systems
protection will increase the risks to the *people* involved just as good
locks on cars led to carjacking.

					Warmly,
						Padgett

Thread