1996-03-06 - “Political Life in Cyberspace” forum, NYC, 3/12/96

Header Data

From: dmandl@panix.com (David Mandl)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4fd2d98fc94b0854935bfdaf35f4211ffe34e02fdfe73752dee97e2fefdd2676
Message ID: <v01530508ad6179945c4d@[166.84.250.21]>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 22:08:39 +0800

Raw message

From: dmandl@panix.com (David Mandl)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 22:08:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Political Life in Cyberspace" forum, NYC, 3/12/96

For those of you in the NYC area, I'm presenting a forum next week on
"Political Life in Cyberspace" (not my title).  I'm going to skip the
boring net-boosterism and talk mainly about several bleak scenarios I've
been thinking about for the past year or two: the imminent death of the
net, the impossibility of digital privacy, and various impending threats,
like government/corporate crackdowns on privacy, the disneyfication of the
net and conversion to a digital Home Shopping Network, Alta Vista and the
increase in dossiers, etc.  If I'm in a good mood, I may also talk about
how a very close friend of mine was fired for making "unflattering remarks"
about her employer on the cypherpunks list.

Here are the details:

                         Date: Tuesday, March 12
       Place: The Brecht Forum, 122 West 27 St., 10th Floor (NYC)
                             Time: 8:00 p.m.
                    Price: FREE (donation requested)

                           An anarchist forum
                 presented by the Libertarian Book Club