1996-03-11 - re: Video resolution

Header Data

From: “A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security” <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 687bca8b87a0ffdc6fd0ef33b4d0fd0e6ac89562c064564273a131e1ebad1a4a
Message ID: <960311101404.2020a2ad@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 23:48:04 +0800

Raw message

From: "A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security" <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 23:48:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: Video resolution

Note: this refers to the IBM PC & clones only

> The point is that they do a lousy job on dithering.  So does Microsoft
> explorer.  They probably purchased the identical code from some clot.

Have been watching this go back and forth & get further from the original
question as usual. I suspect that if the original poster looks in her/his/
its/other SYSTEM.INI file, the line "display.drv=vga.drv" will be found in
the [boot] section. This is the default 16 color driver installed by
Windows to be compatible with every 256k 640x480 VGA card.

This makes a decent GIF or JPEG  - even "64 gray scale" such as the
QuickCam produces - look like olifactory solid waste products.

To do better, you need three things:
1) A video card with higher resolution (usually at least 1 Mb of video
   memory is necessary).
2) A video monitor capable of supporting the card's output.
3) An increased resolution (at least 256 colors as the first responder
   mentioned) video driver to replace vga.drv (YMMV).

If any of these are missing, see the second paragraph above.

					Warmly,
						Padgett

ps the CDA does nothing to block really creative insults 8*).

Thread