1996-03-08 - Re: No Subject

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: JonWienke@aol.com
Message Hash: 8b2776b43cabc576c6e8c9760ae7ea679b29f02776f841f4ac9cdc7f409877df
Message ID: <199603081404.JAA26883@pipe12.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:24:30 +0800

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:24:30 +0800
To: JonWienke@aol.com
Subject: Re: No Subject

On Mar 08, 1996 02:28:22, 'JonWienke@aol.com' wrote:

>d 96-03-07 20:19:12 EST, you write:
>
>>Because the drive is portable. You can place an easily concealled
two-pound
>>135 Mb drive in a briefcase or backpack and have a travelling MixMaster
>>site. Here today, there tomorrow, someplace else the next day. Makes the
>>whole system a real problem for the security types to track down.
>>

>Why not just put an IDE/SCSI EZ drive in a Pentium laptop with an ISDN or
>28.8K modem?  That would be the ultimate in portability; you could still
hide
>the whole thing, or remove the cartridge and destroy it fairly quickly if
>necessary.  That would give you the best of all worlds.

Indeed this would be a technologically superior system. The system I'm
thinking of, however, has a capital startup cost of under $250.

>However, no matter where you are physically located, you have to have an
>account with somebody somewhere to get Internet access.  If the gov't
wants
>you out of business, they can cancel your ISP account or revoke your
domain
>name and shut you down that way.  I suppose it would be harder for them to

>prosecute you if they didn't know where you were, though...

I am not entirely sure how the whole domian name etc. issue will be handled
as numbered accounts fill up. I am also discussing with friends the idea of
the no-domain-name style, similar to penet.fi with various forms of REQUEST
REMAILING TO....

In other words, this or that person acts as a (perhaps temporary) remailer
from their regular account, gets the material encrypted, and massages it in
various ways before sending it out. The point is to increase entropy by
creating the technological base for an enormous proliferation of
remailer/anon tech at the lowest possible price.

Internationally know "elite" (in the good sense of the word) remailers are
by definition known, and thus easy to monitor. Mixmaster etc sites popping
up from the home computers in the rec rooms of suburbia are not.

--tallpaul

>Jonathan Wienke

Thread