1996-03-23 - Digital Signature Inititiative

Header Data

From: Stuart Theodore <stuartt@MICROSOFT.com>
To: “‘pdx-cypherpunks-l@teleport.com>
Message Hash: 9762fd443ffceb4f35df4aceadbf078ed30da9864cbd97ef209e908932e77d4b
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=msft%l=RED-76-MSG-960323000445Z-4522@red-07-imc.itg.microsoft.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-03-23 11:18:42 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 19:18:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Stuart Theodore <stuartt@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 19:18:42 +0800
To: "'pdx-cypherpunks-l@teleport.com>
Subject: Digital Signature Inititiative

Good afternoon,

I am the program manager at Microsoft responsible for putting the
digital signature program in place.   I am sending this mail in response
to a recent mail string sent to these aliases appearing at the bottom.

To summarize some important points of the program:

*  The program creates a certificate authority infrastructure which
consists of thrid party non-software affiliated companies such as
VeriSign and GTE who will act to grant certificates to allow code to be
signed.   The policies defining who can be a certificate authority and
what it means to be a trusted software publisher will be a matter of
public policy(standard).  The point being that Microsoft does NOT
control who can/cannot sign code.

*  This approach solves the problem of identity and integrity, and is
viewed by MS as complementary to the sandboxing approach used by Java
scripting, which we view to be incomplete and unsatisfactory by itself.
We believe that Java needs to sign platform dependent Java classes in
addition to their sandboxing scheme.

*  The W3C is creating a working group in this area to develop standards
around the policies mentioned in the first point, and the formats of the
certificate and signature formats.  Microsoft is committed to making
this a open, industry, x-platform standard...

* regarding the mac question - there already is a  version of Internet
Explorer for the Macintosh, available for download at
www.microsoft.com/ie. Microsoft is has already announced its committment
to building cross-platform internet products.

I would be happy to answer more questions you may have about this
program, inluding proving more information.

Stuart Theodore
Program Manager
Microsoft Corporation
Stuartt@microsoft.com